Just some things I would like but probably won’t get for a while. Well, except for the avocados.
On any given day, my favorite nail color would be nude. I want to say I have over 40 bottles of polish but I rarely wear them. My patience has greatly waned these days. Gone are the times when I would stay at home on a Friday night and give my nails some TLC like I used to. But I love buying polish.
One of my most recent purchases is No Place Like Chrome by Essie. Only once I get back into my groove will I attempt to add designs.
Okay so I only found out what Final Four was about a week ago. And no, I didn’t attend any of the free concerts. They weren’t worth the traffic that I knew I’d have to face downtown.
My good friend Christopher was visiting for the weekend. I suggested we have dinner at a popular Ethiopian restaurant called Desta. Neither of us had ever been but we’ve heard great reviews. Let me tell you, it is all the hype. I ordered the Fish tibs with collards and cabbage. Very friendly wait staff and super yummy food. I seriously need to go back once a month.
I have this thing where I can hang out with certain people 24/7. Only a few though. This weekend, I literally spent Friday, Saturday and Sunday with my FRIENDSIES Tara and Marcia. We don’t get on each others nerves. We just watch tv, get on our laptops and laugh randomly at how Marcia and I are Taurus twins. Very refreshing.
After our impromptu girls night on Friday, we decided to go to the park on Saturday.
Of course they were fashionably late so I stopped in Flying Biscuit to smash some food really quick.
My friend Keila is like the therapist I never thought I needed but glad I have. Today she randomly sent me a text message asking why she had to find out about my latest venture through the internet. No real answer there except that I was sorry. But knowing that I have her support regardless really lit up my somber day.
We moved on to gchat to fully catch up. I tell you, not even fifteen minutes into the conversation, I was literally reaching for my Kleenex. Keila has an introspective way of communicating that always stirs me up. She’s just that friend that encourages you to wholly embrace whatever it is that you’re feeling. Which, at times, can be very awkward.
We talked about life choices, love, purpose and other not so fun adult stuff. It reminded me of an article I read earlier about adulthood. It’s never easy realizing that you’re an adult. That there are certain choices you’re solely responsible for. That some journeys can only be traveled alone. That sometimes you have to struggle to get the things that you want. The article lists 24 painful things you must do as an adult. Here are my two cents.
We welcomed the first day of Spring with flying colors. Literally. As dusk crept upon us, we gathered our colors and flung them on each other and in the air. It was beautiful and so much fun.
I’m so glad that I could be a part of it with my new friend (in real life) Vanessa (@fridasbrow).
I didn’t get to use my water gun but I’m sure I’ll make use of it as the weather warms up. Bwahahaha.
A friend asked me how I got “so many” followers and I was kind of taken aback. It’s one of those questions that you don’t really know how to answer because it seems so simple that it’s complex. The same criteria that apply to following someone also applies to myself. But I do believe that there is a strategy to gaining quality followers.
Here’s my process:
1. Be yourself - I know it’s pretty trendy to have several personalities on social media but your cover will get blown eventually. All it takes is one tweet.
2. Watch your language - Too many swear words and eventually people won’t take you seriously. Use sparingly and only for emphasis.
3. Tweet strategically - You only get 140 characters to get your point across. Twitterlonger is a trap. Don’t do it. Most people won’t waste their time to click on it. Keep it short.
4. Engage - This is probably the most important and one that I’ve slipped on as of late. It’s all well and nice to tweet randomly or cryptically but twitter is a place to connect with others. Ask questions. Take a poll. Don’t just follow someone and never tweet them. Comment on their tweets. Hop in on conversations.
A great way to connect with others is by using hashtags. Ex: I love the show New Girl. When I tweet about it, I use the hashtag so that those watching the show can see it. Another ex: Have a question about beauty or hair products? Ask a question and use the hashtag #hair or #beauty. Search what’s trending and interact with strangers!
Don’t just lurk or only communicate with your friends. Diversify.
6. Create and/or post quality content - Are you an “expert” on a topic? Teach your followers something. They want to learn something from you.
7. Be interesting - Share personal stories about your life. Post about your third grade teacher who changed your life. Tweet about the boy who broke your heart and later got stuck with a overbearing loser. I wanna know who hurt you!
I want your timeline to be GREAT. Show your current and future followers that you’re worth the follow.
Have I told you how much I really don’t care for smiling? Also, I don’t care for posed pictures. They seem so unnatural.
The other day, I met up with a friend to take a few shots for his portfolio. And by few, I mean like ten, maybe. It was way too cold for me not to have a coat on. And no, my hands weren’t in my pockets to look cool. I actually couldn’t feel my fingers after a few minutes.
Moral of the story: perhaps try scheduling a mini shoot BEFORE the sun sets. Just, maybe.
Cheers to the weekend!
Ohhh…just some random facts about me.
- If I were a gemstone, I’d be a ruby.
- If I were a scent, I’d be the faint smell of soap.
- If I were a pair of shoes, I’d be colorful flats.
- If I were the weather, I’d be summer rain.
- If I were a facial expression, I’d be a tight-lipped smize.
- If I were a car, I’d be a mini cooper.
- If I were a time of day, I’d be half past noon.
- If I were a month, I’d be October.
- If I were a place, I’d be an island.
- If I were a liquid, I’d be sweet tea.
- If I were a taste, I’d be tart.
- If I were a sea animal, I’d be a penguin.
- If I were a food, I’d be fried chicken.
- If I were a color, I’d be purple.
- If I were a musical instrument, I’d be a violin.
- If I were a flower, I’d be a lily.
- If I were an object, I’d be a stone.
- If I were a fruit, I’d be a mango.
- If I were a sound, I’d be the wind.
- If I were a day of the week, I’d be a Saturday.
- If I were a nail polish color, I’d be blush or cashmere.
- If I were a bakery treat, I’d be a warm croissant drizzled with chocolate.
- If I were a store, I’d be Target.
- If I were a season, I’d be Autumn.
- If I were a perfume, I’d be light and airy (but I can’t tell you the name).
Feel free to copy. It’s what I did. Stolen from my blogger friend in my head, Lesley Jean, over at Yessiree Petunia. Happy Tuesday.