I colored my hair a few weeks ago and I never really shared that journey with you all. Shame on me. My girl Tammi Dotson (at Salon Saison) has been straightening my hair all year. She does a fab job, I might add. Now we all know a trip to the salon is an all day thing, right ladies? I actually took the day off to get my color, lol. That big of a deal.
Last weekend, I attempted to put a new twist to the classic french roll of the early 90′s. You know it well. I’m sure your mom rocked the hell out of it every week for church. I happen to love anything classic so I added two different styles at the front for interests sake.
1. I’ve only gotten my hair lifted (process of lightening hair) once, by my sister, a year ago. Very old. My color has gotten lighter/brighter on its own.
2. I don’t have a hair length goal. I’ve cut it all off and back. It doesn’t matter to me. It’s just hair.
I have never been a fan of the afro. Too stiff and perfect for my taste. What I am here for is big flowy, messy hair. And because I’m lazy, twists are my go-to hairstyle. It’s easy. Here’s how to rock it.
1. SHAMPOO & CONDITION your hair with whatever you like. No natural hair nazi here. You’re safe. Right now I’m using 4 Naturals products because it was free and I want to use it up before purchasing something else.
3. BLOW DRY. Because I have extremely coily hair, it causes me to have shrinkage. I like to have my hair stretched for a bigger fro. This is the only time I blow dry my hair. Also, it would probably be wise to use a heat protectant before you blow dry.
4. TWIST. Make about 16-20 large twists (I’m guessing), depending on how large your head is. Mine is pretty large.
The next day, untwist and fluff. VOILA. I usually re-twist my hair every night or every other night. The twists don’t have to be perfect or small. the messier, the better.
The pictures below have been the transition from my small to large twisty-fros over the last year or so. Yay for growth and not touching the shears!
Go ahead, try it.
Remember how I said I was gonna use certain products? Yea…well I lied. I still haven’t used the egg and mayo mix yet. Too lazy. Those vitamins? I keep forgetting to take them. Oh. And I was taking five vitamins a day. I swear the Biotin was making my skin break out. I’m sticking to that thought.
SO! I still don’t use a lot of products. Yay me. But I’ve switched from what I was using. The hair polisher was bad bad bad. I threw it away. Now I use:
1. Giovanni shampoo and conditioner (when it’s finished, I’m getting cheap shampoo and conditioner. To me, these are not important).
2. Jamaican black castor oil & coconut oil (saving grace, moisture-wise).
3. Morraccan oil eco-styler gel (I love this stuff).
I just gave in and bought the Kinky Curly Curling Custard. Sigh. I guess it defines my curls more but my hair is still too short to tell. I still like my eco-styler gel better.
I’m so excited!!! I never knew how people made .gif’s!!! I usually use Picnik to edit my photos but it was down. So I did a google search and came across LunaPic. I uploaded two pictures and it did this! It hurts my eyes but at least I know how to do it now. FYI: it seems you have to click on the pic to see it move.