This post is inspired by my cousin who inquired about my red lipstick. I really started wearing red this year after a good convincing from make up expert and one of my favorite tweeps, Felicia Benson aka @ThisThatBeauty on Twitter. Click to read her article that changed my red lipstick phobias.
My best advice when it comes to red lipstick:
- Don’t be afraid!!! So many women of color think red will make them 1) look like a harlot 2) look like a clown or 3) don’t think they can pull the look off. I was told, if you have the confidence, you can rock anything. Don’t be afraid to go bold.
- Try every color. I personally love MAC lipsticks (I have about 8 or 9, don’t judge me). So one day I went to the store and tried EVERY shade of red. There are so many different shades with different hues to match your specific undertone (warm or cool).
- If at first you don’t succeed, try and try again. Don’t give up. I’m telling you, any woman can wear red and look FIERCE. Go slow. Start by trying glosses in a red shade then slowly move up to a lipstick.
How to Apply Red Lipstick:
- When it comes to a bold color such as red, you want to make sure that you’re precise with the application. This is not a color to be sloppy with. It is like art. Start off with a clean canvas. Wipe your lips clean and free of flakiness. You can do this by taking a toothbrush, running it under hot water and brushing your lips.
- Next, outline your lips with a lipliner (you don’t have to but I like the definition). Press your lips together to blend the liner with your lips.
- Apply lipstick smoothly and around your lips and blot.
The colors that I’ve found that work best for me are Ruby Woo (a bluish-red hue, matte in texture color), and topped off with MAC Red (a bluish-red satin color). I didn’t like the matteness of Ruby Woo which is why I apply it first and then put MAC Red on top. I also line my lip with their Chestnut pencil. Both lipsticks are $14.50 and the pencil is $13. Trust me, you’ll have them for a very long time.
Here are my different looks:
What are you favorite red lipstick tips and looks?