Let’s have a chat, shall we?
I’m frequently at a loss for words when it comes to defining my personal style. I’m infatuated with everything! One day I will rock a minimalistic look, the next day I will go crazy with patterns. I love it all. And although I go back and forth with what I choose to wear, there is still a distinct look to my style. You see it and you know. It’s not something that needs explanation in order to comprehend. For grins and giggles, lets call my style…simply complex, lol. Or as I like to say, where Carrie Bradshaw meets Audrey Hepburn.
Your style is what you make it to be. Your style is about wearing what you like, not what others say is right.
I don’t have all the answers but here’s what I’ve learned along the way.
Six Ways To Develop Your Personal Style
1. Know yourself - I think style has a lot to do with who you are, your personality. So in order to know your style, you must know yourself first. What do you like? Are you conservative? Bohemian? Tim Gunn suggests that knowing who you are is essential to fashion/style.
“The key to getting your fashion right is the same for men and women. First of all, know who you are and how you want the world to perceive you. Understand what colors, what patterns look good on you and the whole interaction of silhouette, proportion and fit. If you can get that right, you’ll look great in anything.”
2. Pay no attention to the trends or what’s popular - Someone who doesn’t know their style will take an outfit straight from the mannequin or from the runway and wear without any modifications. Someone who understands their style will grasp the concept of what’s on the mannequin or runway, pick and item and CREATE their own look. See the difference?
3. Look for inspiration - Research your favorite celebrities. Go to a museum and look at paintings. Go outside and observe nature. Dig into those books and relive the past. Window shop at the mall.
4. Out with the old, in with the new – Spend a little more money on quality pieces. This is something I’m working on myself. Spare some dollars on the items you love and utilize the most. For me, it’s white tees. That’s all I’ve got for now, lol.
5. Experiment -Style is very much like art. It might not make sense but if it works, it works. Try something. If it doesn’t work or look right, try something else.
6. Be yourself and be confident - Nothing worse than seeing someone in something, knowing that it doesn’t suit them. I see it all the time. No need to pretend. When you finally find your style, you will look great and feel great.
Got any tips I should add?
P.S. HAPPY 500th blog post to meeeee!!!!!!!