My friend Keila is like the therapist I never thought I needed but glad I have. Today she randomly sent me a text message asking why she had to find out about my latest venture through the internet. No real answer there except that I was sorry. But knowing that I have her support regardless really lit up my somber day.
We moved on to gchat to fully catch up. I tell you, not even fifteen minutes into the conversation, I was literally reaching for my Kleenex. Keila has an introspective way of communicating that always stirs me up. She’s just that friend that encourages you to wholly embrace whatever it is that you’re feeling. Which, at times, can be very awkward.
We talked about life choices, love, purpose and other not so fun adult stuff. It reminded me of an article I read earlier about adulthood. It’s never easy realizing that you’re an adult. That there are certain choices you’re solely responsible for. That some journeys can only be traveled alone. That sometimes you have to struggle to get the things that you want. The article lists 24 painful things you must do as an adult. Here are my two cents.
10 Necessary Grown Up Realizations
- Stop placing blame on others or giving excuses for your mistakes. I say that God continues to let things happen to you until you learn the lesson.
- You can’t do everything alone. “No man is an island.” Ask for help.
- Sometimes, people just won’t get IT. Stop explaining yourself.
- At some point, you can’t keep breaking hearts. Take responsibility. Acknowledge your role and handle that heart with care.
- Don’t burn bridges. BUT, you don’t have to entertain BS either. Just because you’re cordial doesn’t mean you’re friends. Have some manners and keep it moving.
- All we have is time. You can’t get it back. You can’t erase the memories. Be more selective with whom you spend it on.
- Realize that some people can be in your heart but not in your life. For most people, that ex is not coming back. Remember the good times and then let them go. Give your heart a chance to heal and feel again. But please, stop living in the past.
- When you want something to work, you gotta just do the fucking work.
- Partying every night is no longer cool. Read a book. Find a hobby. Join a group. Meet new people. Just don’t waste your life partying all the time.
- Not all things need to be expressed out loud or to others. Somethings you just might have to slide it into that prayer basket and let Him take care of it.